Gaza's battle with rising infectious disease risks
Vatican News

Gaza's battle with rising infectious disease risks

Vatican News
May 23, 2026
7 Unique Views

By Nathan Morley

Civilians continue to face daily violence and rising infectious disease risks, compounded by severe restrictions on medical supplies entering the enclave.​

The UN says vital equipment and laboratory materials are being blocked by Israeli authorities, leaving health workers unable to diagnose or track outbreaks, World Health Organization representative Dr. Renée Van de Weerdt told reporters in Geneva.

 “We’re talking about hantavirus, we’re talking about Ebola virus. This is not luxury. This is equipment that we need to save lives,” she said, noting that overcrowding, rodent infestations and the collapse of water and sanitation systems make rapid detection essential.

The shortages come as Gaza’s health system continues to deteriorate. 

WHO says there have been 22 attacks on healthcare facilities this year, and barely half of hospitals are partially functional, with none fully operational.

Despite the conditions, WHO has supported local authorities in evacuating thousands of patients to more than 30 countries. 

Efforts to expand specialized care inside Gaza are being led by the UN agency for Palestine refugees, UNRWA, though Israel’s ban on its operations has severely disrupted services. 

The agency provided 4.5 million medical consultations last year; nearly 400 of its staff have been killed since the war began.

At the UN Security Council on Thursday, Ramiz Alakbarov, the UN Deputy Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, warned that humanitarian conditions remain dire and that delays in implementing the Council-backed peace plan threaten fragile gains since the ceasefire. 

The people of Gaza “cannot take more war,” he said, urging all parties to prevent a return to large-scale hostilities.​

Funding shortfalls are further undermining the response. The UN says its humanitarian plan for the Occupied Palestinian Territory has received just $540 million of the $4.06 billion required.

Listen to Nathan Morley's report: {"@context": "http://schema.org","@type": "AudioObject","@id": "https://media.vaticannews.va/media2/audio/s1/2026/05/23/15/139153540_F139153540.mp3","name": "Audio","description": "Audio","uploadDate" : "2026-05-23T16:38:07.539+02:00","thumbnailUrl" : "https://www.vaticannews.va/etc/designs/vatican-news/release/library/main/images/audio-overlay.250.141.png"}
Back to all news
Share this story

Read at the source

This article was originally published on Vatican News

Original Article
Have a faith question?